Saturday, July 25, 2009

Day 2: Warsaw, Trains and Old Town

Do you remember days before clothes dryers were available? I was reminded of that fact when after taking a nice shower I reached for the fresh towel and rubbed it against my skin. The towel was so clean and had the freshest smell, not like what you get from Bounce or Downy but from hanging outdoors on a clothes line. Yes, the towel was stiff and rough against my skin but I smiled as I remember seeing mom carry the basket of freshly washed linens to our family clothes line. It's nice to remember those days before our lives got so complicated with electronics and the internet. When family would sit around the dinner table and talk about their day or ask questions about what they read in the paper early that morning.

Are those days lost forever?

Have we become so complex and happy with disassociating ourselves with our family that we would rather read something posted on the internet then pick up a phone and ask?

I wonder what will happen in 20 years or 50 years from now?

Will be become so independent that we forget about family and the importance of staying connected?

My goal for this trip is to reconnect. To keep those lines of communication with my family in the USA with our family in Europe. My cousin Jan is so excited that I have made the trip to Poland. He's called at least 5 times since I have arrived and I don't think if I got on a train this second I wouldn't arrive any faster for him. In his eyes, he wants me to be there with them in Pila (pronounced Pee-wa), now, not later, not tomorrow, but now.

I also spoke with my cousin Bartec (he speaks English). He'll be the person responsible for translation. He'll get the opportunity to brush up on his English but what a burden it will be for him to keep track of all conversations. I don't envy him at all but do appreciate his willingness to accept this role.

I'm dedicated to arrive in Pila on Wednesday this week. I still want a couple of days in Torun especially since it's on my way to their house. It is exciting and I know it's going to be really wonderful to finally meet Jan's family. I'm sure to have great stories and lot's of photographs.


No comments:

Post a Comment