Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Family Traditions

I remember my grandmother always said, “When you have a guest in the house, Jesus is visiting.” I believe she thought if you welcome visitors into you home that it shows God that you are welcoming his blessing.

With that said, I will be traveling to Pila Wednesday afternoon. My cousin Jan insists that I stay with him and his family at their home. If I don’t stay with them, then it is an insult toward my family. So off I go on my new adventure. My mother taught us that if you go to another’s home that you should always take gifts.

My objective for today was to find something that I could take to their home as a gift.

Walking to the Planetarium I noticed a chocolate shop. Everyone likes chocolates so I ducked inside the shop just as it was starting to rain and purchased an assorted box of chocolates. Once the girl behind the counter help me select the chocolates, she carefully arranged them in a box, wrapped the box with pretty paper then placed a ribbon and flower on top of the box. Done! Magically, the rain had stopped so my task was almost complete.

Back to my hotel, I ducked my head into a coffee shop own by a young couple (John-American and Magda-Polish). It was nice to make friends and talk about what I experienced during the day. I told them about my visit to Pila and they suggested I pick up some gingerbread from a local shop because everyone in Poland knows if you visit Torun you better bring back some cookies. Done. I think I’m prepared to meet Jan’s family now that I have something to present to them as a thank you for letting me stay with them.

Now, I’m on my way to experience a little Indian Food and a little nightlife in this beautiful medieval town.

No comments:

Post a Comment