Saturday, August 8, 2009

Male or Female

I've learned something while in Poland that is very interesting. If your father has a surname that ends in "ski" than all females of that family will have the same surnames but with "ska". That is a polish tradition and you see it used commonly throughout Poland.

This happens to be very common across Russian as well. In Russia women usually adopt the surname of their husband. Most of Russian last names ending change depending on gender, for example, male - Ivanov, but female - Ivanova. In most cases ending "a" is added in female last names.

Somewhere along the journey to America our family lost that tradition. Did our system just get lazy or was the concept to difficult to accept? It does make sense to me that all male names should end in "ski" where all female names end in "ska".

With this thought in mind, I am almost considering going to the court house in America and changing my name back to the customary surname with the "ska". What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. In Russian, words can be either masculine, feminine, or neuter. Feminine words end in either an 'a' or 'я', while masculine words end with either a consonant or a 'й'.

    "ov/ova" or "ev/eva"(spelling rule - I am amazed how much I remember from high school) means son/daughter of in Russian, so I bet "ski/ska" means son/daughter in Polish.

    Donnaska sounds like a winner to me!

    ReplyDelete